Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Re: Clacton Pier (The history)

Postby vinntec » 07 Sep 2014, 11:06

woody wrote:power was from the floor,one in store here http://fairground-heritage.org.uk/colle ... -speedway/

It is interesting that the text says "Robert Edwards ordered the ride in 1937 from Orton, Sons and Spooner of Burton on Trent at a cost of £1,050 without cars. The track is 80 feet in length by 40 feet and originally had a fleet of ten miniature racing cars." I would have thought that £1,050 in 1937 was a considerable sum of money (about £31,500 in today's money) - and the cars were extra! I wonder if that was just the track and roof or if it also included the electronics?
vinntec

Postby Bob » 07 Sep 2014, 17:16

What would be really nice would be to bring the Old Jolly Roger building back into use particularly the upstairs area as t is so historic. It would not be viable as a theatre though. Perhaps the best approach would be to turn it into a seaside heritage themed building based perhaps on Clacton's heyday period of the 1950'S To 1960's it could say have a Punch & Judy show, old arcade pintable etc some old children's rides maybe a Fish and chip restaurant upstairs. The upstairs could be pretty much glazed and would offer panoramic sea views, May be an even showing how Clacton pier has changed over time. This approach may well be able to attract heritage funding and Lottery funding
Bob

Postby woody » 07 Sep 2014, 21:00

vinntec wrote:
woody wrote:power was from the floor,one in store here http://fairground-heritage.org.uk/colle ... -speedway/

It is interesting that the text says "Robert Edwards ordered the ride in 1937 from Orton, Sons and Spooner of Burton on Trent at a cost of £1,050 without cars. The track is 80 feet in length by 40 feet and originally had a fleet of ten miniature racing cars." I would have thought that £1,050 in 1937 was a considerable sum of money (about £31,500 in today's money) - and the cars were extra! I wonder if that was just the track and roof or if it also included the electronics?

more like £65,077.32- i have Edwards book somewhere.......
woody

Postby Frank Adey » 13 Sep 2014, 11:15

JoyLand Books article about Frank Adey and Son.
Frank Adey

Chief Engineer

my post and reply from
Stagehand

Now it has been so long ago, and my Father Frank Adey now has full memory loss and is in the Laurels care Hastings. He is near My Sister June Harris.
Well going back to when my Parents Frank Adey and Rene Adey (was Rene Day) told me many stories about their time in the theatre. My Fathers Father (Frank Adey of Clacton pier fame) had a liaison with my Grandmother who also was on the stage as Berlington Bertie act and was I thought was a Sanson? Way back, they had a son, my Father, but the relationship split, and after Frank, (of Clacton), started at the pier, he made no mention of his Son. This has no disrespect to Frank's later wife Betty, as this liaison happen many years before! Now I know my Father worked with his Father on several shows, and was Stage manager for some time...(but this may have been at some other location before Clacton...not sure, but I always thought it was Clacton. Both Frank's kept the fact of his son previous partner secret for some reason. My Mother Rene was a dancer in the Fisher girls and Palladium, Windmill troupes...now I don't know if Frank' Father tried to romance Rene..But there was a great falling out and Frank (of Clacton) disowned my Father completely.
I do know that my Mother Rene did go out with several famous actors etc before my father, including John Mills, and Roy Hudd was a mate of Frank (of Clacton). In fact I met Roy Hudd whilst he was at Barnstaple Theatre, he and his wife came out to meet me, and his first words were..”I did not know Frank had a Son”
So not sure of all the time lines but it certain that my Father was a Son of Frank Adey. I mention all these facts not to claim any links with Franks Family, but after all this time would like to set the records straight. Frank Adey (Jnr or Minor) Funny the goings on in the theatre in those days?
Frank Adey

Postby FATBOY » 25 Sep 2014, 19:23

thanks for the info stagehand, never knew that... i take it a pipe runs under the sand and onto the land. saw the other box below the nunnery, and also noticed one the other side near to the toby carvery. wonder what that will unearth when they rip the one out below the nunnery for the new sea defences???? also does anyone remember the old twin torch street lights that used to be on the holland side. this is the remnants of one near lyndhurst road, there is still 5 columns left with nothing on them on the front where the gardens are(albany/lancaster etc etc)

FATBOY

Postby DolphinBoy » 03 Feb 2015, 09:51

Hi All
Hope you are all well, Its been a bit quiet lately on this thread so I thought I would post a new video I received a few weeks back, About Anglia 1978 Suzie Wong the first killer whale on Clacton Pier, a great interview with Reg Bloom and a show with Suzie & Squeak the dolphin.
This was filmed about a week after Bubbles died from swallowing a children's toy windmill, so it was Squeaks first show with the help and comfort from Suzie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhEjxJx35pI

Enjoy
M
DolphinBoy

Postby Clacton Pier » 06 Mar 2016, 08:25

Hello All, over the last few years we have kept a keen eye on the very interesting and so times fascinating comments, photos and storeys that many of you have posted in relation to ththe pier. As its been some time now since the last significant posts we thought that the it was high time that some new content was added.

Below are some images of the piers former pool in its new guise as a bumper boat attraction. It's been over 20 years since the pool was last used commercially and were only to pleased to be sharing this info with you.
Clacton Pier

Postby Chief Engineer » 15 May 2016, 12:05

If you are lucky enough to live in Clacton or have recently visited the Pier you will have seen that the Lighthouse Slip has reappeared on the skyline. Although still awaiting its bell roof, entrance canopy and a new set of lights, the iconic attraction is now reopen and looking better than ever.

I was recently handed a copy of a couple of photographs from my good friend Mr. Punch & Judy (Peter Battey) of the Lighthouse Slip belonging to the Manning Family of Felixstowe.

As you can see their Slip suffered the same devastating damage after a storm in January 1990, although luckily their chutes had been removed so were spared damage unlike ours of which all 22 were damaged beyond repair. However I recently found out that in fact the Pier’s Slip was actually the Manning’s Slip in the photographs.

I did make the dreaded mistake of commenting on a picture back in 2013 of the Pier’s first original Slip laying wedged on the Queen Mary building that ours was well secured so would not suffer the same fate. Now that the Slip’s second restoration and rebuild is almost complete and she is anchored firmly to the Pier, I am going to keep my mouth shut in case I am a bad omen.
Regards
CE
Last edited by Chief Engineer on 16 May 2016, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Engineer

Postby marc » 15 May 2016, 16:52

This happen in the 90s mate, not the 60s.
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby Chief Engineer » 16 May 2016, 11:41

Hi Marc,

Your quite right, I somehow got carried away when I was typing and put a 6.

Thanks
CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Paul281 » 01 Jun 2016, 11:56

Seeing the second picture showing the front entrance to Manning's, you have answered a question that has had both me and the wife stumped for ages.
The name of the nightclub above the arcade was Oscars.

Thank you!
Paul281

Postby Frank Adey » 15 Oct 2016, 12:32

About the late Frank adey senior of Ocean theatre...
Just had a email from Peter Moyes, who worked at Ocean theatre for six years.
He recalled stories about Frank Senior.
Thank you Peter for great stories, I will treasure these ta
AS far as I know my Grandmother (who lived near to my Dad Frank Adey Junior, for many years at Sutton),
Had a friend living with her named Jack (Uncle) Sanson...so it would appear that my Granddad had a relationship with Grandma, that born my Dad?
Grandma, was very much in the theatre, being a Berlington Berte act...Don't know if that may have been at Clacton? After Dads serious split with Granddad Frank, & Mum Rene Day,at that time (who I think must have been in some of the shows at Ocean)...They both moved away...not sure how long before they came to Sutton, and Dad Frank married Rene Winifred Day!
My Father Frank P Adey Junior, who died 2016 August aged 94.
His Father (my Grandfather) Frank P Adey senior was the producer at Clacton.
Now many people do not know senior had a son, because in the show bus. there were lots of goings on
and after some serious matters Frank senior dissowned my dad Frank.
Both Franks worked together for some years, and my Mother Rene Day was in the shows and My Dad helped as stage manager.
I do not know what went on..but can guess. Later Frank senior married Betty I think, and My Dad was not mentioned!
I also now my Mum was at the palladium as a tiler girl. I met with Roy Hudd at Barnstaple, (on of the many acts who appeared at Ocean Review). He also was very shocked to know Frank senior had a son.
My Dad went on to play many sports including Baseball, and that gave him the idea to start and found Little League Football...which has just seen it's 48th birthday at Morden Surrey.
I have sent mails to Clacton theatre, and also none of the staff knew Frank senior had a Son.
I would be very grateful for any old letters about either Frank senior or my dad.

a further note..after my Dad retired they both went back to their roots and moved near Clacton some 19 years ago At Overstrand...when I visited we used to visit the pier etc. After Mum died some 13 years ago, Dad moved to Rye about 10 years ago...to be near my Sister June Harris.
Frank Adey minor
Frank Adey

Postby marc » 23 Oct 2016, 15:42

Whats happend to the dodgems ???
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby kevin » 24 Oct 2016, 11:13

kevin

Postby kevin » 19 Mar 2017, 18:36

Been to the pier this afternoon. I'm afraid the relocated dodgems just don't do it for me. No sidings, no art work . In fact, the whole under cover area was looking rather empty and uninspired.

Interesting, to see that there will be a circus for the summer though. Does this mean the re opening of the Jolly Roger?
kevin

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum