Music Maestros Please

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Music Maestros Please

Postby Sarah » 16 May 2003, 12:06

I need help! Am putting the final touches to the Save Dreamland Convention programme and am thinking that it would be good to play some relevant music, particularly at the beginning and end of the event.

My first request is fairground organ music: does anyone have a tape or CD that we could use? If so, get in touch and let me know if you would be willing to pop it in the post. I promise to return any offerings!

Secondly, does anyone have any other ideas for suitable music? I have a couple of thoughts but would welcome some input.

And thirdly, if any of you haven't yet booked your tickets you will be missing a cracking day. We have assembled some more film footage and the programme is looking good. And, as the presenter, I will doubtless humiliate myself at some point in proceedings. How could you resist?

Sarah
Sarah

Music Maestros

Postby porterm » 19 May 2003, 02:20

Hi Sarah,

I'm afraid I can't really help in your main appeal for fairground organ music, however, I could suggest some possible appropriate music. I don't know whether you saw the recent movie called "Two Weeks' Notice" with Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant, but it had a rather common theme to it, ie trying to save an old children's home at New York's Coney Island. The main film music was a song which I believe is called "Pink Paradise" (don't know who by) but it's an old song with the line "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot". Thought it had rather a lot in common with our Campaign; I didn't think the film was particularly great but Sandra Bullock's character's people-protests were quite captivating in my opinion, with her determination and stamina.

If members take a look at it I think it could be rather inspirational at this time. (Believe it's out on DVD/ video now)

All the best and see you, all being well, for the big Convention on June 1.

Martin Porter
porterm

Postby Sarah » 19 May 2003, 06:57

Thanks Martin, that's a good one I hadn't thought of. I know the song you mean; it's called Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell.

Sarah
Sarah

music request

Postby imansfield » 24 May 2003, 13:37

Hi Sarah,

I dont know why i didnt think of this earlier, but Ive got some music that may be suitable for the event. Its the soundtrack to the 1977 film "Rollercoaster" by Lalo Schifrin. The main title music is probably the most apt, but the rest of the CD is filled with amusement park inspired music.

Get in touch if you still need it.

Ian mansfield
imansfield

Postby matt » 29 May 2003, 12:52

Sarah wrote:Thanks Martin, that's a good one I hadn't thought of. I know the song you mean; it's called Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell.

Sarah

The song martin is referring to, I believe, is sung by the Counting Crows with Venessa Carlton, (Available on CD) , and is indeed a cover of the Joni Michell song.

Best regards

Matt.
Matt Rogers
matt

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum