Scenic Railway

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Scenic Railway

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 06 Sep 2016, 16:22

Coaster Scenery wrote:
Of course an issue might be sourcing a company capable of producing such a cable considering it's likely the original manufacturer is still waiting to be paid...

I imagine that is the issue, nobody in their right mind would do business with Dreamland other than on "cash up front" terms. When I was running my business, I paid every bill the day I got it, even though standard terms would be 30 days, and the reputation I got for doing this meant that suppliers would bend over backwards to help me when I needed it. I've known others in the same business who will do absolutely everything possible to delay payment for as long as possible, and as a result nobody wants their custom.

I don't know what the future for Dreamland is, but my prediction would be that it won't be there in two years' time unless there is a huge shake-up in the way it is being managed. Dreamland *is* the Scenic Railway and if they can't keep that running then they can't keep Dreamland running.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Neil » 06 Sep 2016, 20:06

Obviously the Scenic being down is disappointing for people. The park's dropped the price of wristbands to £15 while she's down, as clearly it is a big part of the attraction for most people. That's a really good price. A full price adult wristband at Adventure Island is £28. It's £21 for a full price wristband at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach and they charge extra for the Big Wheel. A £15 wristband at Dreamland is £15 very well spent, but I can understand that people from further afield might hold off visiting.

Looking at Trip Advisor most of the people who are going do seem to be having a good time. For example compare the average ratings for Dreamland vs Legoland
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html

I can see why people might think that the downtime's related to the administration, but I don't think it is. The Scenic's owned by the Council and included in Sands Heritage's lease of the park. It's been open for less than a year so it's still under warranty. Now Sands Heritage is in administration their purchase orders are being paid for by the administrators, Duffy and Phelps. From what I'm hearing they're paying much quicker than 30 days, presumably for the reasons that have been suggested.

I'd definitely encourage people to visit the park and see for themselves what's been going on there.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby aweber1us » 07 Sep 2016, 07:44

My understanding is the pull up cables have now been changed , the on going issue is that they failed long before they should of done. This is also a major safety critical item that they must get right and many different people are involved in this process.
aweber1us

Postby porf » 07 Sep 2016, 08:36

And there's the critical part:
but I can understand that people from further afield might hold off visiting.

For the second season running the signature ride hasn't been operational for a large chunk of the summer season.

I'm just over an hour away, would I visit with the Scenic not running - nope.

Regardless of the reasons behind the Scenic being non operational and why it's taking a very long time to fix it's commercial suicide.

Add in the factor that other rides often seem to be non operational and you've got a park I couldn't in all honesty recommend local friends to visit and that's a serious shame.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby aweber1us » 07 Sep 2016, 10:14

Been three times this year and only one of the times the Scenic was not operating .In my eyes the Scenic was burnt and lost and gone forever , other than the little bits cut up to make gifts. What is there now is a new coaster ,the best anyone could wish for. In my eyes a grand old lady has gone and it has been replaced by an average coaster. There are some lovely rides at Dreamland and some great staff and well worth a day out.
No rose tinted glasses its not Alton towers but a great British sea side park.
aweber1us

Postby Bob » 07 Sep 2016, 10:53

Dreamland are away with the fairies I think. On the 24th September the enire site is closed to the public for a Bugged Out Festival? Whats that? who knows they want £47 a ticket for it though to go to a run down sea side venue they even expect the mugs to pay extra to go on the rides. Totaly crazy
Bob

Postby Neil » 07 Sep 2016, 15:10

Tickets for Bugged Out includes the use of the rides. You can find out more information on Bugged Out here:
https://www.dreamland.co.uk/events/list ... -dreamland

'Prices include booking fee and unlimited use of the rides'
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 07 Sep 2016, 16:42

aweber1us wrote:My understanding is the pull up cables have now been changed , the on going issue is that they failed long before they should of done. This is also a major safety critical item that they must get right and many different people are involved in this process.

I'm willing to stand corrected but I was under the impression that these are simply standard steel hawsers?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Busheyfields » 14 Sep 2016, 21:21

Does the Trust have any "inside" information on whether or not the Scenic will run again this season?
Busheyfields

Postby Bob » 15 Sep 2016, 07:24

Busheyfields wrote:Does the Trust have any "inside" information on whether or not the Scenic will run again this season?

I doubt anything will be heard from the Dreamland Trust they appear to be doing nothing at all as to why is the ride still not operating I have not a clue. Their web site states it is undergoing testing but has said that for several weeks so I do not accept that is the reason. It is really totally unacceptable that a key ride should be out of action for so long and that the only information available is the misleading information that it will be available soon when clearly it is not

On another topic if you buy tickets for Dreamland them you are entitled in law by the Consumer Rights Act to have all the advertised rides available. If rides are not available you should be told of that at the time of booking. You cannot get out of it by putting up a general declaimer saying that all the rides might not be available. If you book in advance they can ask you to phone on the day of the day before to check what rides are available. If all the rides are not available you can ask for a full refund
Bob

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 17 Sep 2016, 20:12

The problem with Dreamland is not the concept, but the management.The millions of pounds of losses will have found its way into a handful of peoples' personal bank accounts, it certainly didn't go to the people who carried out the work, bought materials, paid staff etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that Dreamland will fail, it's a shame when it could have been such a success had it been managed by more dedicated people.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Bob » 19 Sep 2016, 11:22

smilerbaker wrote:the reason its still not operational is pretty obvious, the suppliers want to be paid upfront, this will only get worse, especially now the season is all but over, if they can't afford things when money is coming in there is no hope now.

I think it is now just a matter of how quickly they burn through the £600,000 it was burning through cash at about £200,00 a month up to the creditors meeting since then they have taken some steps to cut costs and August should be the best month of the year, Lest assume losses of £100 between the creditors meeting and beginning of August and break even for August and then A £200,000 a month loss so we are looking at the cash running out by about the end of the year
Bob

Postby Bob » 29 Sep 2016, 20:57

Well there is good news with the Scenic Railway but the bad news is the message now says the ride is not yet complete> Did bits fall off of it during the testing? What a farce this is

Will the Scenic Railway reopen before Dreamland closes for good?
Bob

Postby Peet » 13 Oct 2016, 07:11

The message on Dreamland's website has been updated:

The Scenic Railway is currently out of action despite everyone's best efforts. The new rope has not passed testing and a bespoke replacement is on order. We thank guests for their patience during this disappointing time and assure everyone that the ride will be back up and running once the rope has been supplied, spliced, fitted and tested by the experts.

Sounds like there is still some work to do. I've never heard of a ride being down for so long before due to a technical issue! If they can get it up and running for October half term that would make a big difference, but that seems pretty optimistic.
Peet

Postby Bob » 13 Oct 2016, 17:18

The Scenic Railway farce goes on. They are now claiming the replacement cable failed testing quite why you would need several weeks to establish this who knows particularly as the cable would have been pre tested and come with a test certificate . They have apparently now ordered a bespoke replacement but the previous one was supposed to be bespoke, To me it sounds as if they messed up and ordered an incorrect cable which they have been trying to make work. Probably the new year at least before it will be running although I suspect Dreamland will have closed by them
Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum