Lessons Learned

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Lessons Learned

Postby Bob » 25 Nov 2016, 07:45

What lessons can be learned from the total failure of Dreamland? In my view it had a lack of proper management from the very early days. It had no clear objectives . It had no real project plan and was disorganised and chaotic. It was also over ambitious at to what a small ex holiday resort could support. The Dreamland Trust was equally as bad and has no real function now which can be seem from the fact it has done nothing in over a year. In spite of its recent meeting nothing has changed and its web site is still out of date and has not real changed in almost 2 years

There has been a lot of taxpayers money & lottery money gone into the Dreamland Trust but what value have we had from it? As far as I can see none. It is the same for Dreamland. Millions of pound of taxpayers and lottery money has gone down the drain with nothing really to show for it.
Bob

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby porf » 25 Nov 2016, 09:48

What lessons can be learned from the total failure of Dreamland? In my view it had a lack of proper management from the very early day

Have to agree with you on this one, that Jimmy Godden was only concerned with running it into the ground and selling the site for housing :evil:
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Peet » 25 Nov 2016, 10:37

It is much too early to be declaring Dreamland a failure; if it closes next week and never opens again and the Scenic never runs again then I will agree with you, however until that day Dreamland has a perfectly good chance of succeeding. If it is still running several years from now then it will have been a success even if it is not a profitable business, there are many other benefits that it has already brought including bringing life back to Margate, restoring a unique piece of British history, providing employment, and giving many people including myself some great days out.

Stay positive people, let's not give up on Dreamland just yet!
Peet

Postby aweber1us » 26 Nov 2016, 18:32

Has Dreamland failed? It still very much open, even bringing in rides for Frosted fair ground and another three for next year. Trouble with Bob he opens his mouth and mostly crap comes out. Some things have some truth though.
aweber1us

Postby aweber1us » 27 Nov 2016, 09:50

Bob you go on and on about Sands but can you tell me what park did Jimmy Godden run successfully ? He took over Dreamland bought in a load of rides from places like shut down Butlins holiday camps and had the place looking like a hole. He then shut it , then again he was no Showman came from an Estate Agents I understand and married in to the Rotunda family as they died off he shut it. He might be a slot machine King but died leaving more mess behind him then Sand, Folkstone ,Ramsgate , Margate.
aweber1us

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum