Scenic Railway

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Scenic Railway

Postby cliffc » 24 Oct 2016, 20:39

kevin wrote:Still not working!

"The Scenic Railway testing is now underway and we anticipate that the ride will be ready to take passengers soon. We are sorry for the wait!"

I can't imagine the Big Dipper or the Grand National being allowed to stand idle for so long!

There is one big difference between the Big Dipper and the Grand National they are in a park whos owners are not in administration and therefore have the control and the cash to fix them if they go wrong, Unfortunately dreamland is in administration and making a loss so cash is tight.
cliffc

Postby Bob » 24 Oct 2016, 21:28

Depends Dreamland probably still have some of the £600,00 left and one of the reasons given when Dreamland first went into a CVA was given as the Scenic Railway was not open. They were implying it would be a major draw. Personally I am not convinced and there is no real trading history to prove or disprove it but they must have some idea as to whether the Scenic was making money or not. If it were making money I would have thought they would have paid out to get it going quickly. It may be though they know the closure date is getting close so it may not be sensible to buy and fit a new cable. IT all depends on just how fast they are burning through the £600,000
Bob

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 06 Nov 2016, 21:09

Let's face it, if you were serious about running a theme park you wouldn't have had your signature ride out of action since July for want of a spare part.

What the hell is going on here?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby stuart » 07 Nov 2016, 13:20

Vince, Charlie and Sam wrote:Let's face it, if you were serious about running a theme park you wouldn't have had your signature ride out of action since July for want of a spare part.

What the hell is going on here?

Who is responsible for this?

Does the lease make Sands responsible for the upkeep of the ride? Or are TDC involved here?
Perhaps the contract with the engineering company comes with some kind of warranty.

Either way, lets hope that it's resolved during November in time for the Christmas events.
stuart

Postby porf » 21 Nov 2016, 16:29

stuart wrote:Either way, lets hope that it's resolved during November in time for the Christmas events.

Not going to be fixed in November (from Dreamland.co.uk) :

The Scenic Railway is currently out of action but the replacement rope is scheduled to arrive in December. We are 100% committed to getting the ride operational as soon as possible which will happen after the rope has been spliced and tested thoroughly. We thank guests for their patience during this disappointing time.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby porf » 06 Dec 2016, 09:40

Rejoice a rope has arrived! Although on past experience the thorough testing could take a while. Coming up on 5 months downtime now - can anyone remember if it took less time than this to actually build the new Scenic?

The Scenic Railway is currently out of action but the replacement rope has arrived on site. We are 100% committed to getting the ride operational as soon as possible which will happen after the rope has been spliced and tested thoroughly. We thank guests for their patience during this disappointing time.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby aweber1us » 07 Dec 2016, 07:50

All we can do is take this as some kind of positive? I guess there will be a fair bit of testing needed and ADIPS testing must now be due also. No idea how long these things take on a ride like the Scenic . It also looks like they have bought a Waltzer in the last couple of weeks , with two more rides coming next year. All fairly good signs , which must be why Bob has not been about lately.
aweber1us

Postby stuart » 07 Dec 2016, 19:00

Kent Online wrote:

A spokesperson said: “The bespoke rope for the Scenic Railway is now on site at Dreamland and the splicing and engineering crew are in place to work on replacing the rope.

“Once the rope has been safely installed, it will be tested thoroughly over the course of a number of days to ensure maximum safety.

“Once testing is complete we will look forward to announcing the ride’s opening date.

“We will continue to add information about the ride’s progress to the homepage of our website www.dreamland.co.uk
stuart

Postby stuart » 14 Dec 2016, 10:31

Testing underway yesterday. Train completing circuits of the track so rope has been spliced!
stuart

Postby kevin » 15 Dec 2016, 17:05

"The Scenic Railway Is Back on Track From This Saturday"...apparently.
But I'm afraid it's too little, too late for me. Personally, I'll spend my money at Winter Wonderland.
kevin

Postby Peet » 17 Dec 2016, 14:13

Hooray, let's hope this is a new leaf turned for Dreamland, and let's hope lessons have been learned from this reliability problem so ensure it doesn't happen again. Fingers crossed we'll see the Scenic operating through the summer of 2017 for the first time since 2006.
Peet

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum