New Plans for 2017

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

New Plans for 2017

Postby Peet » 27 Feb 2017, 20:01

Exciting email from Dreamland:

Dreamland plans unveiled

2017 is already proving to be a very exciting year for us here at Dreamland as we can now unveil some of the plans for the park

The amusement park is being re-landscaped to provide a space that brings together lovingly restored vintage rides set against a backdrop of art installations (including an interactive marble run and a mirrored spinning top), adventurous street food, unique bars and an eclectic programme of live events. A new garden boardwalk will also give everyone the opportunity to admire the antique menagerie cages from the 1800s, capturing part of the site’s unique history.

The ride line-up will feature some old favourites alongside some new additions including: the Brooklands Speedway, the Wedgwood Tea Cups and the Crazy Mouse. The Waltzer has been painstakingly restored to its former 1940s glory and our new Teddy and Betty Land, an area designed for your little funsters, features Betty’s Beehive Coaster.

Our 15,000 capacity event space will be ready to welcome international and homegrown acts to Dreamland, which firmly sees us put Margate back on the music venue map. This is alongside the legendary 2,000 capacity Hall By The Sea, that once famously played host to The Rolling Stones and The Who.

On the seafront, the original 1930s Cinque Ports pub is being brought back to life, offering modern pub fare with a front row view of the beach. This summer will also see the addition of Margate’s only rooftop bar offering unparalleled vistas over the iconic ‘JMW Turner’ skyline.

The amusement park will reopen on 28th April 2017. Wristbands and membership will go on sale soon.
Peet

Re: New Plans for 2017

Postby kevin » 27 Feb 2017, 21:49

set against a backdrop of art installations (including an interactive marble run and a mirrored spinning top), adventurous street food, unique bars and an eclectic programme of live events.

Margate’s only rooftop bar offering unparalleled vistas over the iconic ‘JMW Turner’ skyline.

This summer will also see the addition of Margate’s only rooftop bar offering unparalleled vistas over the iconic ‘JMW Turner’ skyline.

our new Teddy and Betty Land, an area designed for your little funsters,

You know... isn't this the same pretentious bollocks that's put off Honest Joe public visiting in the past? They are obviously trying to appeal to all the Luvvies and Hipsters that are taking Margate over.

Wristbands and membership will go on sale soon.

Call a spade a spade, it's a season ticket. Membership? Of what?

Personally, I wouldn't risk my money on a season ticket
kevin

Postby Bob » 01 Mar 2017, 11:40

The plans are still to sell Dreamland this year. Some proposals have been seen that show the bulk of the site being proposed for redevelopment as retail and housing with the Scenic and a small amusement park on part of the site
Bob

Postby stuart » 01 Mar 2017, 15:07

The artists impression CGI looks impressive. I hope that it looks something like that once complete.

Can't wait to see it.

Bob wrote:The plans are still to sell Dreamland this year. Some proposals have been seen that show the bulk of the site being proposed for redevelopment as retail and housing with the Scenic and a small amusement park on part of the site

Thanks for the info as always Bob - you are a fountain of inside information as always.
Quite how you always manage to get on the inside is something of a mystery.

However, there are a couple of problems with this proposal:

Policy T8 still exists and the land is owned by the Council. Only the council could split the land and sell it and, well, let's see them try!
stuart

Postby Chris H » 01 Mar 2017, 15:18

Thanks for the entertainment as always bob :lol: . Plans look interesting, shall be purchasing memberships at Easter :)
Chris H

Postby aweber1us » 01 Mar 2017, 17:53

Same old Bob , open your mouth and crap comes out. Didn't you say it was shutting at least three times last year? You really are a sad man.
aweber1us

Postby kevin » 02 Mar 2017, 21:16

According to their website...

AMUSEMENT PARK
The Amusement Park will re-open on Friday 28th April for our launch evening and weekend. Opening times and tickets on sale soon.

Well excuse me, doesn't that miss the Easter Bank Holiday and School Holidays?

...Great planning?!
kevin

Postby Chris H » 03 Mar 2017, 13:45

Looking at the plans I would be suprised if they manage to open for the 28th.
I'd say witsun would be a better bet. I would think the late start date is due to the cash boost being recieved at such late point rather than lack of planning.
Chris H

Postby vann98 » 04 Mar 2017, 11:32

Plans look greaat; perhaps more what I was expecting when the park reopened in 2015. It is good to hear them planting over 1400 trees though I am dubious if we will see that empty side redeveloped into green space just yet seeing as it currently there dumping ground for ride parts etc.

Either way not what I was expecting so looking forward to any improvements that are made.
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 04 Mar 2017, 20:38

All that GREEN! This is a real bonus for the people of Margate.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 28 Mar 2017, 04:05

Yeah, you have to love dumb ol' Boob. He writes something and expects everyone to believe it, even after being proven wrong 100% of the time.
Boob, I mean, Bob, when will you ever learn? Your family and coworkers must absolutely despise you - if any of them speak to you any more.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vann98 » 01 Apr 2017, 14:37

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news ... on-123117/

Crikey, 25 million. This should be interesting.
vann98

Postby kevin » 02 Apr 2017, 19:19

You know what, free wifi, bars and overpriced food bars are not going to convince me!
kevin

Postby Bob » 04 Apr 2017, 17:14

kevin wrote:You know what, free wifi, bars and overpriced food bars are not going to convince me!

Another charge went on , on the 15th March for £17M. The only sense is that they want to redevelop the site . The official line is still the site will be put up for sale this year. All the charges mean only Arrowgrass would be in position to buy it. Currently Dreamland is still making a loss and I cannot see it being turned around certainly not enough to support the amount that has been lent to Dreamland

The last minute delay in its summer opening is another sign.
Bob

Postby Peet » 17 Apr 2017, 16:07

More great news, £25M is a huge investment in the park, is anyone able to provide a construction update?

Looking forward to seeing what changes the investment brings!
Peet

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum