Reopening

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Reopening

Postby kevin » 25 May 2017, 20:22

To quote an article in the Independent:-

And to add to its considerable charms,(Margate), at 5pm on Friday 26 May Dreamland, the town’s legendary amusement park, throws open its doors for a lavish opening weekend – for the second time in as many years. The park’s operator promises it has done away with the thrill rides of the Eighties and Nineties and returned Dreamland to the heights of its historic glory.

REALLY?

The wait for this new Dreamland has already been delayed by a month. This comes after 2015’s short-lived relaunch, an embarrassing episode in which operator Sands Heritage admitted to huge debts before closing the park in 2016. So far, so Carry On. But this year, promises CEO Steven Mitchell, we can expect a unique seaside experience in keeping with Margate’s Victorian heyday. Dreamland will emphasize its heritage qualities, insists Mitchell, doing away with anything tacky or tatty.

TACKY OR TATTY? Well, that's rather patronising, if not insulting to the millions of honest, hardworking people who made Margate, and Dreamland, what it was and should be.

The exodus of young creatives from London did not ‘discover’ Margate, but they are working hard to make it relevant to younger generations. This doesn’t mean overpriced frippery, but it does now cater brilliantly for picky urban visitors who want all the fun of the fairground but none of the crappy food and drink that too often accompany dodgems and candyfloss.

Crappy food and drink? I enjoy a hot dog or fish and chips as much as I do a five star meal and to be honest, it is what I want to eat when I'm at the seaside. It's horses for courses.

Well...now I get it, it's no longer a place that a person, such as myself, is welcome. All the hard work and support of the people involved in the campaign and this forum has been stolen for the rich f*C***g yuppies who want to move in, take advantage of the highly inflated house price differentials and pretend it is all down to them.

This scenario will not support an amusement park.
kevin

Re: Reopening

Postby stuart » 26 May 2017, 09:10

Do we need to start with the negativity already?

The park that is opening today is closer to the original plan than the one that opened in 2015, celebrating the history of amusement parks and Margate with restored historic rides.

kevin wrote:To quote an article in the Independent:-

And to add to its considerable charms,(Margate), at 5pm on Friday 26 May Dreamland, the town’s legendary amusement park, throws open its doors for a lavish opening weekend – for the second time in as many years. The park’s operator promises it has done away with the thrill rides of the Eighties and Nineties and returned Dreamland to the heights of its historic glory.

REALLY?

By this they mean the travelling Top Spin, Enterprise, Jumping Pirate Boats, Monotopia etc...

kevin wrote: I enjoy a hot dog or fish and chips as much as I do a five star meal and to be honest, it is what I want to eat when I'm at the seaside.

That will still be there, I'm looking forward to fish and chips tonight.

kevin wrote:Well...now I get it, it's no longer a place that a person, such as myself, is welcome.

Free entry to all (as per the orginal vision), so I don't know why you would conclude you aren't welcome.

The park is looking amazing... all I'm saying is you could wait for it to open and check it out before delivering your review.
stuart

Postby aweber1us » 26 May 2017, 09:30

Dreamland has not been set up for Yuppies? Im not a Yuppie I enjoy a Day at Margate and then some Thai food at Bows Kitchen. Gone are the days were people want to shovel down Fish and Chips and donuts. Theres a lot of people like myself that don't want all that fat IN our bodies. Not even open and looking to pick at it , I think some people on here were happier when it was shut?
aweber1us

Postby Peet » 26 May 2017, 22:04

Tonight is the night - is anyone on here going? Please share any experiences/photos! I've read a couple of news articles, it sounds like the Magic Mouse was broken down for a while with people on it (which the media are making a really big deal of, of course). I hope it's well attended and that the Scenic is running!
Peet

Postby vann98 » 27 May 2017, 09:16

If it is anything like the instagram photos I keep seeing, the place looks completely different; the stage area/banked seating a particualar favourite.
It is so good to see trees and landscaping back in the park after decades of absence. While the 2015 relaunch really set the wheels in motion, the lack of green space was something I was dissapointed with. Looking forward to visiting and seeing what is going on in the 'buffet building' side of the park (I believe still under construction).
vann98

Postby stuart » 27 May 2017, 11:42

Peet wrote:Tonight is the night - is anyone on here going? Please share any experiences/photos! I've read a couple of news articles, it sounds like the Magic Mouse was broken down for a while with people on it (which the media are making a really big deal of, of course). I hope it's well attended and that the Scenic is running!

I went to the opening. The park looks amazing and to say it was well attended was an understatement.

The only problem was it was too busy... drink and food queues were very long. But, I don't think that's something we should complain about really!

On a normal day, the park will now be a lovely place to spend time, pop in for a bite to eat and a drink. Sitting on the grass at the stage and under the big wheel was lovely.

It's quite special now, with lots of lovely touches and attention to detail.
stuart

Postby aweber1us » 27 May 2017, 21:22

Great to hear some positive feedback from someone that went. Can't wait to go myself
aweber1us

Postby ripnet » 27 May 2017, 21:59

But was the scenic running??? gonna be going broadstairs tomoz, hoping to pass thru, but wont bother if the mighty SR is not on...
ripnet

Postby stuart » 28 May 2017, 11:47

ripnet wrote:But was the scenic running??? gonna be going broadstairs tomoz, hoping to pass thru, but wont bother if the mighty SR is not on...

Yes, she's running!
stuart

Postby ripnet » 03 Jun 2017, 10:06

On my way :)
ripnet

Postby aweber1us » 03 Jun 2017, 11:33

Enjoy it looks fantastic .
aweber1us

Postby ripnet » 03 Jun 2017, 12:28

In queue... :)
ripnet

Postby Sy » 03 Jun 2017, 13:52

Lucky man! I am at home looking after my twins, we will however be going very soon!!
Sy

Postby ripnet » 03 Jun 2017, 14:37

It was great :)
ripnet

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum