Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain's Visit; Any Coverage?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain's Visit; Any Coverage?

Postby porterm » 21 Jul 2003, 00:22

Hello all,

As I didn't get to visit Dreamland on Saturday 19 July, does anyone know if there was any media coverage of this event? I do hope that a lot of their members visited and made an impact to our Campaign.

Also, if anyone has any photographs of the club's visit to the Scenic Railway I thought it would be great to have them featured in the "latest news" on this website. (I expect the club may e-mail/ send some to Nick Laister to feature).

Bye for now,

Martin
porterm

Postby Sarah » 21 Jul 2003, 09:00

Hello

I spoke to the local press and to Andy Hine of the RCCGB last week to try and get some coverage of their visit. Am hoping that something will appear soon. It's important to get positive publicity for the park, as so many people are under the vague impression that it is closed already.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Alan » 21 Jul 2003, 19:10

Hi Martin,
Here is my coverage of the evert,Roller coaster club of great britain. They all asemble in front of station at 10 am? and then had a number of goes on the scenic railway after that stayed in the park for the other rides.

They Had small badge on their tops and about 50 turned up

Alan
Alan

Postby David Ellis » 23 Jul 2003, 19:31

Nick,

I am glad you liked my write-up of the Save Dreamland Convention. I was quite surprised and flattered to see some of it quoted in the News area of the main site. I hope that it had the desired impact as far as getting RCCGB members behind the work of the Trust and the Campaign.

I would have liked to have been at the RCCGB event too, but was on holiday in Scandinavia with the ECC at the time. Oh, the joys of being in both clubs! Scandinavia has 3 of the remaining 9 Scenic Railways left in the world...and what gems they are too!

Regards,
David.
David Ellis

Postby Vince, Charlie & Sam » 08 Aug 2003, 19:57

We rode the Scenic on the day the RCCGB visited (we ride several times every week)

I was chatting to some of them, and they had all enjoyed their visit.

There was quarter-page coverage in the subsequent Thanet Extra (a local free newspaper) of the visit, with a photograph showing the train on the first curve, and some positive comments from the spokesperson from the RCCGB.

Vince, Charlie & Sam
Vince, Charlie & Sam

Postby Alan » 08 Aug 2003, 21:15

Hi Vince, Charlie And Sam,
If you are going to Dreamland on Saturday 9th, Look out for people wearing Save Dreamland T-shirts, I will be.

Alan
Alan

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum