sign be taken down

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

sign be taken down

Postby darkrichard » 24 Apr 2006, 20:13

the dreamland sign that go up the side of the dreamland cinema is being removed today it the side that you see when you come in to margate can thay just remove the sign just like that ?
im from margate i live across road from dreamland
darkrichard

Postby porterm » 24 Apr 2006, 20:43

That sounds rather weird to me. Maybe someone could take a photo of the cinema building and post it her. (I wonder if they're just doing maintenance or something).

I hope that the sign is not being removed completely, although with someone recently saying that other former Dreamland signs had been obliterated (like at the railway station), it seems to me that the Dreamland owners are doing their utmost to remove all evidence of the park existing still. I'm tempted to ask about other Dreamland signage I know of maybe being painted over, or removed but I think that might encourage further signage removal.

I think we should keep a close watch on this rather sinister development.

Martin
porterm

Postby Killa » 24 Apr 2006, 21:44

how havent this lot been investigated for SERIOUS corruption yet?
You can't beat that top buzz feeling!

www.ffun.co.uk
Killa

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 25 Apr 2006, 02:12

The reality is, Waterbridge owns the park.
Space for signage such as this was probably leased. If the cinema wasn't paid this year, they have every right to remove it.

No doubt Waterbridge is doing everything they can to obliterate evidence of Dreamland, which is why the efforts here must go on and be visible to the public.
I wish I could be there.

We MUST get the council to change the use on the land back which would force force Waterbridge to make do with the property as a park.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porf » 25 Apr 2006, 07:09

Jim,

As far as I know Waterbridge also own the cinema !
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Zoidstar » 25 Apr 2006, 11:37

The sign was probably not listed so they can remove it, there is nothing in law that states it must stay.

It could just be to repair or replace with a new one.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Sign

Postby cliffc » 25 Apr 2006, 11:53

Zoidstar wrote:The sign was probably not listed so they can remove it, there is nothing in law that states it must stay.

It could just be to repair or replace with a new one.

Hi All

I dont think its just to repar it from what I have been reading here recently it would seem that someone is trying to remove all traces that Dreamland ever existed at least signage wise, and if people dont know its there thay cannot visit and therefore helping some partys to prove there point over the far more relistic point put forward by the campaign.

Cliff C
cliffc

Postby Neil » 25 Apr 2006, 12:47

I agree that it's all very suspicious. There is also someone doing the rounds of the coaster forums who seems very negative of the campaign. I have no problems with people having different opinions, but since they admit they haven't ridden it I'm not sure how well informed they are. If you're a member of the forum Rideas you might like to say something (other parks).
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Graeme » 25 Apr 2006, 22:20

I'd love to back you up, Neil, but I'm not a member of Rideas (and I can't join). Good posts by you, though. For me, there are two main issues:

1) The Scenic Railway is an excellent ride. It's not nostalgia, it's not people feeling sorry for it; it's a genuinely good ride, easily giving modern rides a run for their money! Length, genuine airtime, three double drops. All the focus is on the Blackpool and Southport woodies, and I'm not knocking them, but in my opinion, the Scenics at Margate and Great Yarmouth are the Top 2 woodies in England.

Personally, I'd rather ride it than Stealth, and I think the queues have always proved it's no "kiddie" ride.

2) The land is artificially unavailable at Tourism value, which is unfair. I have full faith in Nick that there would be an amusement park operator purchasing it if it was.

So basically, it's an unjust state of affairs, not people wanting the impossible.
Graeme

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 26 Apr 2006, 06:12

Ding. Give that man a cigar.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby cliffc » 26 Apr 2006, 08:59

2) The land is artificially unavailable at Tourism value, which is unfair. I have full faith in Nick that there would be an amusement park operator purchasing it if it was.

Hi Graham

I dont think there is any doubt that if the price was right an operator would buy the site, Phillip Miller would almost certainly make an offer to buy Dreamland, but until there is a change of use to just Amusment Park use waterbridge will not sell at the right price, as thay can make more if thay can prove its not viable as an amusment park thay can sell the land or build totaly residental or retail on that site and it will be worth much more to them.

Cliff C
cliffc

Postby Sarah » 26 Apr 2006, 10:22

The Enforcement Officer at TDC tells me that Waterbridge's agents (Barton Wilmore) have told the council that the sign has been removed for maintenance and cleaning, and that it will therefore be reinstated. It may even work.

The listing on the cinema does cover the signage and the Council are obviously keeping an eye on things. I know I've said it before, but when it comes to planning matters the officers at TDC have always been really rather good.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby RowBot » 26 Apr 2006, 12:48

Ya lets hope they do a great job with the signing would love to see it working again!
RowBot

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 26 Apr 2006, 16:50

I know I've said it before, but when it comes to planning matters the officers at TDC have always been really rather good.

...except for the part where they reassigned the usage on the land.

We need to keep a list of everything they're doing to try to undermine the viability of the park so it can be shown that there's been a conscious effort to do so.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Sarah » 26 Apr 2006, 18:52

That wasn't the officers in Planning, that was down to councillors. And I don't have the same faith in (most of) our elected representatives as I do in professionals being paid to do a job.

Mind you, a few officers at TDC also flummox me.

sarah
Sarah

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum