Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby Chief Engineer » 07 May 2011, 16:09

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on Stella’s Revenge. I am sure when the original Steel Stella’s track and frame work were completed the only technical glitches they had to overcome were minor and the first car was soon making its way around the track. In this day and age of technology the computer is an essential part of any modern ride and to ensure the utmost safety and part of the Pier’s policy on the rides refurbishment was to ensure the control and safety systems were as up to date as possible, unfortunately this is all controlled by computers and the company providing the hard and software have had some late nights making sure the systems meet all today’s safety requirements. I am just as frustrated not seeing it running but have been assured completion is not that far away now.

A few pictures of the cars below, there are still the graphics to be added to both cars and station.

I have rummaged through the images kindly donated by Peter Kingsman and found a few more of the original Stella under construction. Of course the new name of the present day coaster has had a few people scratching their heads as to who was Stella and why is she taking out her revenge, but for all us oldies I think the name is a fitting testament to the original Steel Stella.

CE
Chief Engineer

OMG!!

Postby DolphinBoy » 07 May 2011, 17:44

Hi CE
The new Stella is looking good and as always some fantastic photos, the bottom photo is a real work of art, such a clever photo taken all them years ago!
Being a clactonion the name is a very important statement I feel and will keep the visitors guessing, I was so impressed with the pier the other week, it is now crammed with rides & things to do, even the empty space between the Jolly Roger and the Helter Skelter is full with crazy golf etc.
My kids love it, roll on the safety checks and a few goes on the rollercoaster!
DB
DolphinBoy

Postby Gary » 07 May 2011, 19:12

Stellar means of the stars or like a star.

However, if Stella (without an r) was originally referring to a certain lady then - My God- She was beautiful. :)

Thanks again Mr E.

I sense a book by you coming on.

I'd certainly buy it.

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby kevin » 21 May 2011, 21:21

Any news on Stella's Revenge?
kevin

Postby Alan » 22 May 2011, 05:58

I was on the pier on Thursday and talking to one of the workers on the coaster, said that still waiting for the Computer to be programed.

Alan
Alan

Postby Chief Engineer » 22 May 2011, 22:30

I can only apologise to everyone and that includes myself as I can't wait to have a go, but the rest of the work to complete the control system that ultimately provides the rides safety system is totally out of my hands.

Unfortunately I doubt we will see it running for the Whitsun week, even though you might spot a car running around the track this week just to make sure all the mechanical side of the ride is ready. It has had a couple of test runs and the cars looked and sounded good.

As soon as things begin to move, you will all be the first to know.

CE

PS

Over the last few months on windy nights when the rest of the Pier is shut the ride does take on an eerie sound all of its own, of course with the name 'Stella's Revenge' one can't but think the original Stella coaster is haunting that particular spot.
Chief Engineer

Postby kevin » 23 May 2011, 19:01

Alan wrote:I was on the pier on Thursday and talking to one of the workers on the coaster, said that still waiting for the Computer to be programed.

Alan

Thanks for that Alan. Yes I was on the pier on Saturday and it's still idle, a shame really. The rest of the pier is looking good though. I like the crazy golf running down the neck towards the Jolly Roger, although it seemed expensive!
kevin

Postby Essexdude » 09 Jun 2011, 15:39

Hi Any news on Stella's Revenge? :P
Essexdude

Postby Chief Engineer » 09 Jun 2011, 23:47

Hi everyone,

I am not going to tempt fate and say an opening date, but the day is certainly getting closer when we will be seeing the starting of testing, hopefully this weekend all going well. Once the testing of all the systems is underway I should have a better idea of the opening date and I am sure the Pier owners and myself will be shouting the opening date from the rooftops or perhaps from the top of Stella.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 10 Jun 2011, 00:07

Hi,

Before this Clacton Pier history thread turns into the 'Why are we Waiting for Stella' forum I thought it was about time that I had a look through the Clacton Pier photo album that Peter Kingsman has kindly shared for us all to enjoy.

This collection of contact prints gives a good view of the front of the Pier on a busy day or possibly early evening according to the Pier's bridge clock. I am not sure how the contact sheet came into Peters collection as the front bill boards clearly show the Pier under the new ownership of the Goss family, including a Mr Fun.

CE

My best wishes go to Peter Kingsman who has been a little poorly, I am sure everyone who has enjoyed this thread wishes him a speedy recovery.
Chief Engineer

Postby Gary » 10 Jun 2011, 16:57

Chief Engineer wrote:..My best wishes go to Peter Kingsman who has been a little poorly, I am sure everyone who has enjoyed this thread wishes him a speedy recovery...

Peter, if you are reading this: A MASSIVE Thank You for allowing the Chief to share with the readers of these forums your brilliant images. They have brought Clacton's past back to life!

Fantastic!! :D

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Graeme » 10 Jun 2011, 23:09

I have to echo what Gary said. Peter Kingsman, get well soon! This thread has been like filling in the gaps, about a place and Pier that mean a great deal to me. Thanks to Mr Kingsman, Chief Engineer and everyone involved.
Graeme

Postby leezos » 11 Jun 2011, 01:23

Hello everyone.

I would just like to give a big thank you to Peter Kingsman and chief engineer for the amazing photographs and great insight to the history of Clacton pier. And not forgetting all the other contributors as well.

This forum has become a living time capsule of history for all to enjoy. May it continue and prosper.

Please Keep up the hard work and dedication it is very much appreciated.

I would just like to give my best wishes and my most sincerest regards to Peter Kingsman. I'm very sorry to hear he has been feeling poorly I hope he has a speedy recovery.
leezos

Postby DolphinBoy » 13 Jun 2011, 08:05

Wishing Peter Kingsman a speedy recovery & a big, big thank you for sharing his personal collection of photos.
Special thanks to Mr Engineer for putting his time and hard work in sharing these photos for all of us to enjoy!
:D
DB
DolphinBoy

Postby Chief Engineer » 14 Jun 2011, 22:27

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on Stella's Revenge, the weekends work on the computer went well and has allowed us to start testing the ride in an engineering mode, unfortunately still not open to the public yet but at least it gave me the opportunity to quickly duck tape a digital recorder to the top of one of the cars so that we all could take the first ride together :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSEb5CeNP1o

It was great to see the panoramic view of Clacton from a coaster once again, all be it in the reverse direction of the original Stella.

Apologies for the sound, I never put any sound proofing between the camera and the car body, so the sound of the track is somewhat amplified through the fibreglass body, listening from the outside the cars sound fantastic as they whoosh through the dips.

Plus of course what you see is nowhere near to what you will really feel as you take that first drop.

CE

PS Had the pleasure of meeting a fellow Joyland contributor Alan on Monday, who I am sure will post up his own pictures of Stella's Revenge on the move at last.
Chief Engineer

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum