Scenic to re-open 16th October / preview 15th

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic to re-open 16th October / preview 15th

Postby EAS » 12 Oct 2015, 08:05

Pity it's such short notice, doubt I can make it, but good news. Not really worth being an annual member when you live hundreds of miles away from Margate.

Email from Dreamland:

"We are delighted to announce that the jewel in Dreamland's beachfront crown, the Scenic Railway, will open on Friday 16th October. We anticipate that the next few weekends will be rather busy and capacity is limited so to avoid disappointment please ensure you book your amusement park entry in advance online or in person at Dreamland.

On your booked entrance date, and so that we can keep queuing times to a minimum, you will need to book your Scenic Railway journey time slot on arrival at the park.

Please note you must be over 1.25 metres tall to take your Scenic journey. Other ride restrictions may apply.
"

"If you want to be the first to ride the Scenic Railway, join our exclusive club and become one of our annual members. Start benefiting from all of the extras including an exclusive preview on Thursday 15th October between 1pm and 7pm of the Scenic Railway, unlimited park entry, discounts in the Dreamland Emporium plus much more.

Don't miss out! Get your annual membership online NOW!"

Reports and photos here:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news ... ens-44530/

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-1 ... this-week/
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: Scenic to re-open 16th October / preview 15th

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 12 Oct 2015, 09:24

I didn't check my "shopping" e-mail account over the weekend. I would hope that the opening day return tickets are priority for the re-opening if there are limited numbers. Interesting to see that locals were given priority on the original opening date, now the new "members" system (as EAS says - not much point if you aren't a local) is determining priority.

Nice to see that the Press Day is a private affair, so the first public rides are - well - private.

Hope it all goes smoothly on Thursday.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Alan » 12 Oct 2015, 09:49

I have just try to log in on the Dreamland site to get tickets but comes up, Unknown user, anyone had problems too, have sent email to them.

Alan
Alan

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 12 Oct 2015, 20:04

Day of leave booked for Friday; free return ticket booked for Dreamland (also for Friday ;-)

Third time lucky?
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 12 Oct 2015, 22:24

More Tweets from DreamlandMarg:

"Members get exclusive access before anyone else"

FFS DreamlandMarg! Just open the bloody ride to the public...

First it was locals to get exclusive first access to opening day tickets
Then there was to be a competition to be on the first public ride - open to locals only
Now, you have to fork out for a membership to get priority access - which isn't worth it if you live an appreciable distance away.

It really is getting boring.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dave771 » 13 Oct 2015, 00:30

It has been closed for years so why does a day for members make a difference? It is not unusual for a company to have special deals for members etc. A membership is less than three lots of tickets so is a great price for unlimited entrance for the year with added bonuses! The members day is on a day that the park would of been closed and it is opening for the day on Friday which would normally be closed too to accommodate as many as possible onto the ride. Please can't people just be happy that it is going to re open after all this time and all the hurdles that there have been along the way!
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby EAS » 13 Oct 2015, 03:53

I'm delighted Dave... you know how delighted!

I would have loved to have been at Dreamland Friday (not worth annual membership for us really, and we didn't bother with the free tickets uptake so would happily have paid full price) but it's too short notice. Long drive.

Next year...

Looking forward to ride reports and pictures. Have a wonderful time all who can make it, and of course good luck to the brakeman!

I have just try to log in on the Dreamland site to get tickets but comes up, Unknown user, anyone had problems too, have sent email to them.

Alan

Yes I had that problem when I tried to log in to print out tickets for opening day. Dreamland IT tech sorted it for me after I emailed. If you haven't heard soon let me know and I'll fish out the name of the person.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Alan » 13 Oct 2015, 06:50

EAS wrote:Yes I had that problem when I tried to log in to print out tickets for opening day. Dreamland IT tech sorted it for me after I emailed. If you haven't heard soon let me know and I'll fish out the name of the person.

EAS, Dreamland sorted it out for me thank you.
Alan

Postby stuart » 13 Oct 2015, 08:59

SuburbanHomeboy wrote:More Tweets from DreamlandMarg:

"Members get exclusive access before anyone else"

FFS DreamlandMarg! Just open the bloody ride to the public...

First it was locals to get exclusive first access to opening day tickets
Then there was to be a competition to be on the first public ride - open to locals only
Now, you have to fork out for a membership to get priority access - which isn't worth it if you live an appreciable distance away.

It really is getting boring.

Membership benefits and local resident discounts are hardly unusual concepts for a visitor attraction, particularly one that wouldn't exist were it not for the unwavering support of said local residents!
Dreamland would have been closed on Thursday according to the published opening hours for this time of year so what difference does it make if they open an extra day for paid up members?

It really is getting boring seeing such negative posts (both here and on twitter). You have to wait one more day.

dave771 wrote:Please can't people just be happy that it is going to re open after all this time and all the hurdles that there have been along the way!

^^^ Exactly.
stuart

Postby vann98 » 13 Oct 2015, 18:43

Sounds good; will probably have to wait till next Easter now but should be a great occassion nonetheless.
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 29 Oct 2015, 19:53

I'm amazed that people whine about the stuff they do.
Just go support the place.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum